These events take place concurrent with Episode 4: Old Friends, Act 1, Scene 2.
Maltontac, outside the Briefing Room
- Galen takes Reese aside to discuss private business while Wraiy has a quiet word with Ohmin. Braarf gets the Paramour ready for the impending trip to Nar Shaddaa.
- An MSE droid with an idiosyncratic speech pattern urges GL-33 and Yuri to follow it deeper into the Maltontac base. They pass through numerous halls, briefly crossing paths with Forwen, before heading down a long corridor lined with well-organized but untidy piles of scrap equipment.
- The duo are led to a sealed laboratory, and after an annoying interval with the com they realize it is Tinker’s workshop. The droid provides the passkey to unlock the door, at which point they discover Tinker distractedly at work with a bevy of droids handling tasks around the very large warehouse workspace.
- The MSE droid leads the duo to a corner of the lab where five droids are displayed. Each droid has been catastrophically damaged in some spectacular fashion. GL-33 is led to a GL series droid that has been hacked apart by a lightsaber; meanwhile, Yuri is guided to an IG-100 series droid that has met with a thermal detonator explosion, leaving only half the torso, the head,and the left arm intact.
- Yuri determines that the IG-100 droid has a kludged-together personality matrix which blends its original programming with a BLX labor droid, and those crossovers seem to have shorted out multiple times.
- GL-33 realizes the GL droid is in a coma and missing vital parts of its speech systems and autonomics, preventing it from reactivating.
- Yuri determines that there are five potential reasons for combining IG and BLX droid personalityies:
- The maker lacked the componenets to make an IG droid to spec
- The additional BLX database could allow for an IG droid to function as a repair unit
- The combination could potentially allow for a functional IG droid that was not capable of violence
- The limited personality subroutines of the IG series could be enhanced by the additional robust BLX matrices
- Combining the two droid types potentially allows for a combination of skill sets that would increase its ability to learn new functions
- GL-33 rounds up some destroyed GL droids and brings them back, asking Tinker about the destroyed droid. Tinker questions GL-33 about himself, then states that the droid is GL-3N, the engineer who created the positronic matrices necessary for complete Force transfer of a living being into a droid.He isn’t familiar enough with the GL series to effectively replicate the missing components.
- Working in unison, the three technicians effect repairs on the GL unit, but even upon completion the unit will not start. Yuri determines that what is lacking is a proper passcode to wake the droid up; upon investigation, this seems to be its name (not its designation of GL-3N).
GL-33 cannot initially remember the name, but Yuri posits that if this is truly the engineer of the Myladonian droids’ personality matricies, it would be a famous name on Myladon, along the lines of Raith Sienar or Julynn Kentas. Upon hearing this, GL-33 suggests Yuri try the name “”/characters/gl-3n" class=“wiki-content-link”>Palpatine". The code works, and the droid begins its startup routine, causing Tinker to step back and go silent.
- While the droid boots up, it does not move or speak; instead, it inquires via Yuri’s datapad, “What happened to me?”. Yuri and GL-33 interact with the droid briefly, and Yuri determines that booting the droid via his datapad has caused the personality matrix to activate through the pad, and that the droid will activate once he breaks that connection.
- After a brief discussion, the trio determine that they should leave the droid running but inactive. Tinker transfers the program to a stationary terminal in his laboratory, and Yuri and GL-33 resolve to inform the Rebel leaders of what they’ve uncovered, as it is possibly advantageous but also dangerous.
- Reese contacts Yuri and GL-33 over the comlink to inform them that it is time to depart for Nar Shaddaa.
- Tinker encourages Yuri to take the other droid with him to the Paramour, adding, “If you manage to reactivate 4Q, tell him we miss him”.
- 3 character points to Brett and Tony for participating.