When last we left our intrepid heroes…
- GL-33 is in the medbay attending to the injured Dragons;
- Yuri is heading to the medbay under guard to assist GL-33;
- Ohmin is skulking around the mansion dressed as a security officer.
ACT FOUR: AN UNORTHODOX INVESTIGATION
SCENE TWO: EVERYTHING GETS MORE CONFUSING
- Ohmin explores this lower floor, which has a more spartan feel to it like a barracks or storage warehouse. There are more guards way down the nearest T intersection, patrolling but not on high alert. He comes to Storage Bay 23, which he slices into by using the same keycode he previously established.
- The storage bay is a temperature-controlled warehouse full of large glass cylinders kept chill but not cold.
SCENE THREE: GL-33’s ANATOMY
- Yuri arrives at the lab to find Una and GL-33 by a bacta tank containing Reese. The problem seems to be that he has suffered enough damage that the neural interface with his cybernetics keeps rebooting itself, which will result in seizures if they do not fix it. They require Yuri’s expertise in cybernetics. The prosthetics start functioning, but begin a feedback loop that cascades into a seizure within 2 minutes. They discovered this when turning on the ocular implant to test for interference and the cascade began in that eye, but was originating in his shoulder as well, resulting in all cybernetics needing to be turned off. Cybernetics not being her forte (immunology, pharmacology, and perceptive cognition are her specialties), she noted the cascade failure but couldn’t diagnose it. GL-33 noticed it was happening elsewhere, but Una neglected to credit him.
- GL-33 notes that Una did not perform any diagnostics, instead handling the situation like a trauma medic. This is not necessarily bad; it’s simply true. He suggests that Yuri start with operational procedures. The duo begin working together, with Yuri plugging in diagnostics and GL-33 probing responses to feed information. They realize that this is not accidental; something in the shrapnel was deliberately infected with with programming to incite feedback loops into automata to disable them. It would shut down a droid, computer, or sentinel turret, and apparently also cybernetics.
- The easy solution would be to isolate the virus into one cybernetic system and wall it off, with the more difficult complete solution being extraction. The arm is the better choice as a test (since the eye is connected directly to the brain).
- The duo examine the shrapnel to determine the nature of the virus. It appears to have been a fragmentation grenade engineered to disable technology. It’s a simple concept, clever but crude. The range is within a couple of inches of the blast, and excising the virus should take roughly a day and a half.
SCENE FOUR: IT’S A DRUG WAREHOUSE
- The cylinders in Storage Bay 23 contain cultures of ryll spice. This is a refinery, and the goods are very expensive. Ohmin realizes that he is most definitely on multiple security cameras and being monitored, if not actively viewed as doing something inappropriate. He patrols the storage area nonchalantly so as not to look suspicious, and is commed by Yuri in order to talk strategy.
- Ohmin performs a security analysis, determining that security is not military-tight, but is tight enough for its type and better than a Rebel base (money talks). Security from the outside is strong, as Nar Shaddaa attacks are generally lightning-fast (and unbelievably common) and the team has responded swiftly to this one. Internal threats are more problematic, as reactive protection is strong but proactive security is limited by the sheer size of the manor.
- Yuri deduces that Kodha, Banwadi, and Siwelhi all knew the Dragons were on the veranda, whereas Una would not have known. Due to the nature of the attack, he deduces that whoever planned the attack was not planning to damage the structure or personnel; the attack as designed could only be effective if the target was present and unprotected. Whoever attacked had the goal of killing or disabling people actively on the deck, with no other goal (as nothing else could have been accomplished). Two turrets and a local shield generator were taken out in the attack.
- Ohmin decides to track down Banwadi, as he seems to be the biggest suspect in the attack.
- Ohmin determines that the security system is tracking everyone of interest in the building, but Ohmin has shed his own tracker somewhere and it believes he is still in the guest suite.